BLACK ISLE STUDIOS SET TO UNVEIL LIONHEART AT E3
IRVINE, California, May 22, 2002 - Black Isle Studios, the award winning role-playing game division of Interplay Entertainment Corp. (Nasdaq: IPLY), announced today the development of their next epic, Lionheart(TM), for the PC. Lionheart(TM) is a stunning new RPG being developed by Reflexive Entertainment Inc. that utilizes the character development system from the critically acclaimed Fallout(TM) series in an atypical fantasy setting. The game will be demonstrated at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in the Interplay booth (Concourse Hall, booth #5010) by appointment only.
"With Fallout, we created a post nuclear world that skewed in a distinct way from that of reality," stated Feargus Urquhart, President of Black Isle Studios. "With Lionheart, we have chosen to skew history earlier in the development of mankind to create a dark world where magic exists ... Rome's power is in conflict with the reality of demons walking the earth, and Leonardo Da Vinci's blueprints have come to life."
In the year 1192, Richard the Lionhearted, King of England, ventured across Europe during the Third Crusade. At the height of this aggression the lines that define our reality blurred, allowing a short but devastating influx of magic and spiritkind to be unleashed across the Earth. Occurring some 400 years after this cataclysm, Lionheart(TM) diverges from traditional high fantasy by placing the player in 16th century Europe where the Renaissance has halted, casting a shadow over civilization by keeping mankind in an enduring Dark Age. To some who could comprehend the nature of these new forces, the introduction of magic has brought great power. To the common folk, magic is feared as the handiwork of evil. In this new, yet hauntingly familiar setting, the player must decide how to best develop their character's skills and abilities to triumph over obstacles in order to discover the meaning of their true fate.
"Lionheart(TM) will offer complex character development in a world completely unlike your generic fantasy CRPG," stated Chris Parker, Senior Producer for the project. "The player can focus their character on swordplay, archery, or the forbidden arts of magic -- all options are laid before you in a classless and open ended system."
Unrestricted character creation and development using Fallout's flexible SPECIAL system allow players to create and advance characters in nearly limitless fashions. Played from an isometric view, Lionheart will offer the highest quality graphics yet seen in a PC role-playing game. This technology will allow the player to explore a beautiful, lush and diverse world filled with powerful magical artifacts, involving quests and unique characters. Players will face a mix of strategic and intense combat, clever puzzles and dialog interactions as they play though the intricate storyline. In addition to the single player experience, up to four separate players can join in for a multiplayer session.
Lionheart(TM) is under development at Reflexive Entertainment Inc. and will feature their Velocity engine. Lionheart(TM) will be available for Windows® 95/98/00/ME/XP-based computers in Winter 2002.
Black Isle Studios has redefined the role-playing genre and has dominated the PC Game charts having received the RPG of the Year award from Computer Gaming World and Computer Games Magazine for four consecutive years. More comprehensive information about Lionheart(TM) and Black Isle Studios can be found on the official web site, located at http://lionheart.blackisle.com.
Black Isle Studios is a division of Interplay Entertainment Corp., a leading developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software for both core gamers and the mass market. Interplay currently balances its development efforts by publishing for personal computers and current generation video game consoles. Interplay releases products through Black Isle Studios, Interplay, Digital Mayhem, its distribution partners and its wholly owned subsidiary Interplay OEM, Inc. More comprehensive information on Black Isle Studios, Interplay and its products is available through its worldwide web sites at http://www.blackisle.com or http://www.interplay.com.
- Incredible story taking place on a historical divergent Earth during what should be the renaissance after a mystical cataclysm has occurred.
- SPECIAL rules system (from Fallout 1 & 2) adapted to a real-time fantasy setting including 30 skills, 40 perks, and 15 traits.
- Classless system allows the user to customize their character however they want as they advance to as high as 60th level.
- Eight major areas of the world contain over 80 levels that range from pure story and dialogue areas to pure combat challenges.
- Fast paced combat in a rich and detailed world where dialogue interaction and story play equally large roles.
- Characters in the world that can join your party and fight for and with you.
- Cooperative multi-player allows as many as four friends to play through the single player game.
- A random item generator allows the player to find literally thousands of different weapons and items.
- Beautiful 2D rendered backgrounds with 3D characters allows for maximum beauty and frame rate.
- Four different player races.
- Over fifty enemies to challenge your combat and spell-casting abilities.
- Over thirty spells that evolve and grow with as your characters' abilities increase.
- Simple and intuitive gameplay with a clean interface.
- P-III 300 MHz running Win9x/ME/XP/NT(4.0+)/2000 with DirectX 3 or higher.
- 64 MB RAM
- 8MB DirectX compliant video card
- CD-ROM, Keyboard, Mouse
- You really should have speakers and stuff too. Seriously, get with the program.